Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Books I Can't Live Without

I love to read. From a young age I learned to appreciate a good book. Fiction, nonfiction....it doesn't matter. I'm ALWAYS reading. I buy books at used bookstores, Ebay, Amazon, and Half.com. When I'm finished with a book, often I will sell it on Ebay or Half.com and use the money to buy more books. Over the years, though, I've acquired some books that I just can't part with. I refer to these books over and over. These are the books that have become my references in parenting, marriage, finances, and personal growth. In no particular order, here are 13 favorite books in my personal library. 1. The Focus on the Family Complete Book of Baby and Child Care . Given to me at my baby shower, this has been my #1 child development reference over the years. 2. Debt-Proof Living by Mary Hunt. Hunt's approach to getting and staying out of debt makes a lot of sense to me. I have read this book many, many times and often recommend it to friends. 3. A Ready Defense by Josh McDowell. I first heard McDowell speak at a youth conference in high school, and I was hooked. His book Evidence That Demands a Verdict was instrumental in solidifying my Christian faith. A Ready Defense is a compilation of McDowell's work. It answers the tough questions skeptics ask about Christianity. 4. Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson is another baby shower gift I've treasured. You'll find lots of practical advice on how to raise a godly leader in this book. 5. 1-2-3 Magic by Dr. Thomas Phelan has to be my favorite book on discipline. When I was at my wit's end with my daughter, a friend recommended this book. I've used it ever since. 6. A Marriage Without Regrets by Kay Arthur is the best book on marriage I've read to date. Kay Arthur always sticks straight to biblical concepts. I try to read this one every couple of years to keep my marriage on track. 7. Intimate Issues by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus is a fantastic resource for spicing up your marriage. 8. Disciplines of a Godly Family by R. Kent Hughes and Barbara Hughes is a book I picked up on a whim in a bookstore. I'm glad I did! Through this book the Hughs have inspired me to become a more godly mother. 9. Tiptionary by Mary Hunt is a great collection of tips to save money in just about every aspect of life. 10. Houseworks by Cynthia Townley Ewer, CEO of OrganizedHome.com, is the best reference I've found so far on keeping house. I wish this book would have been around when I was newly married. 11. Healing ADD by Dr. Daniel Amen was suggested to me by a family therapist when Liz was diagnosed with ADD. Dr. Amen offers many different ways to treat ADD, both with medication and without. 12. I read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren when our congregation went through it together a couple of years ago, and it changed my life. This book really made me think about my purpose on this earth. I want to read it again soon. 13. The Bible is the most important and most referred to book in my library. If I had to give away all my books, save for one, this is the one I would keep. It is the basis for my faith and my life.

No comments: