Friday, June 1, 2007

Clothing Rant

My mission this morning: to find a cute, modest affordable swimsuit for Liz. She's 9 years old, and just beginning to develop. I wanted something modest that she won't be embarrassed to wear at her school's field day in a couple of weeks. I spent an hour walking the mall this morning. There were plenty of swimsuits out there. Unfortunately the modest ones were all $60 or so. The other swimsuits looked like they belonged on the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. That made me so angry. My daughter is 9. She wears a size 8! Why is it OK in our society for a 9 year old girl to wear a bikini with a little triangle top? I want my daughter to be a girl. I don't want her to be a wanna be woman at the age of 9. As she has graduated from size 6x clothing into the 7-16 sizes, it has become harder and harder to find clothes that don't sexualize her. Fortunately she's small for her age, and it will be a while before I have to tackle the junior sizes. Finally I stopped at JCPenney in a last ditch effort to find SOMETHING. They had a bunch of cute, modest suits that were on sale! I found a cute blue one-piece in Liz's size. It even had a little skirt to go over it, making it more modest. I'm beginning to think I need to learn how to sew, so I can make her clothes from now on! Related Tags: ,

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

I echo that concern. We have started praying before we go shopping. Asking God to help us find affordable modest clothing! Sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it turns into an all day adventure. But He always provides. Hang in there!