Monday, June 18, 2007

Have we really stooped so low?

Anchorwoman is a new Fox reality show, where a bikini model with no journalism experience works as a co-anchor for the 5 p.m. news. This is entertainment? First of all, I didn't know serious news was entertaining. What if the leading news story is a fatal auto accident? Is the model going to report on the war in Iraq? And we're supposed to laugh as she does it? Now this bikini model may surprise us all and be a good reporter, but I doubt it. That wouldn't make for entertaining television, right? Furthermore, the fact that this woman with no experience is being billed as a "bikini model" just irks me. The fact that women's bodies are used to sell everything from cars to the evening news these days just really makes me mad. I'm not a staunch feminist by any means, but I don't think women should be portrayed as sex objects with no brains. Perhaps I've been on the receiving end of too many blond jokes in my lifetime. I hope the Phil Hurley, the station president and general manager, considers the message he is sending and decides not to air the program. Related Tags: , ,

No comments: